Probably “Hot Shot Hop Suspension” set number 5276 or 50276 is the first Hop-Up Options released by Tamiya. The set includes all the parts necessary to convert the single front shock system and single rear shock system of the Hot Shot into the double front shock system and double rear shock system of the Super Hot.
The set consists of the following parts:
– 2 x yellow C.V.A. shock absorbers at the front in the “Short Shock” version, set number 50304,
– 2 x yellow C.V.A. shock absorbers at the rear in the “Long Shock” version, set number 50305,
– front conversion set; 2 x aluminium front towers, 2 x L-shaped steel plates for installation of the shock absorbers on the front lower suspension arms and 2 x cylindrical spacers,
– rear conversion set; black V-shaped FRP rear plate, 2 x steel shaping plates for installation of the shock absorbers on the rear lower suspension arms (missing from photo), 2 x rectangular, double-hole steel plates for repositioning the bell-shaped ceramic heating elements, aluminium U-bracket and
– small parts with shock absorber oil.
The first step is to build the 2 + 2 front and rear shock absorbers.
Disassemble the single shock absorber system of the front suspension (on the left side of the photo) and the rear suspension (on the right side of the photo).
Also detach the two bell-shaped ceramic resistors.
Sequence of pictures illustrating how to assemble the suspension system – front shock absorbers:
– install the two L-shaped plates on the 2 left and right lower arms using 2 screws and reinforcing the installation with 2 washers and screw the two aluminium towers to the central body using 2 + 2 screws,
– install the two shock absorbers on the towers and the L-shaped plates by tightening the 2 + 2 screws with their spacers.
Take care when installing the plates on the front lower suspension arms; the lower suspension arms are different in the shape of the lightening holes between the Hot Shot and Super Hot versions. In the picture the differences are highlighted with a dotted line rectangle, on the left the lower suspension arm system of the Hot Shot and on the right the Super Hot. The Super Hot’s round hole allows for a unique installation of the screw that secures the L-shaped lower plate.
It is not mentioned in the Hot Shot to Super Hot upgrade set instruction that in order for the suspension to function properly, it is necessary to file down the part highlighted in dark in the suspension outline and outlined by the solid line rectangle.
Sequence of pictures illustrating how to assemble the front suspension – shock absorber system:
– assemble the V-shaped FRP plate on the U-shaped aluminium plate and install them together on the chassis, install the two moulded plates on the two lower right and left suspension arms, install on the roll bar system the two rectangular plates with double steel holes used as spacers for the bell-shaped ceramic resistors and
– install the two shock absorbers on the upper V-shaped plate and the lower moulding plates by tightening the 2 upper screws with their spacers and the 2 lower ball joints, and reposition the bell-shaped ceramic resistors.
The two rectangular double-hole steel plates are necessary to prevent the two bell-shaped ceramic resistors from interfering with the V-shaped black FRP plate. In the pictures below it is shown how in the Super Hot this problem was overcome by changing the shape of the ceramic heating elements; the ceramic heating elements have become rectangular and have a white FRP fixing plate shaped to move them away from the black FRP V-plate.