CLOD is named after the first model released for sale using this chassis:
– Clod Buster, model number 58065, released for sale in 1987 and available on the market until 2003 and
– Bull Head, model number 58089, released for sale in 1990 and available on the market until 2003.
These two models represent a very important novelty for Tamiya, there are several advertisements that Tamiya or the various importers around the world have published in trade magazines.
Parts list for Clod Buster model number 58065.
In keeping with Tamiya tradition, the CLOD chassis has been evolved from the first to the second and last model released for sale; in this case the only change is that three reinforcement plates have been added to the chassis at the bottom (in blue in the picture) that protect the chassis during jumps. This modification has been retained in all subsequent re-releases.
In designing the CLOD chassis, Tamiya utilises all the experience developed with previous monster truck models by releasing something completely innovative with exaggerated dimensions compared to the models on the market.
These are the characteristics of the chassis
– 4.35 kg weight of the chassis in running order, for comparison the Black Foot model number 58058 weighs 2.22 kg,
– 4-wheel drive,
– 4 steering wheels,
– 4 wheels with a diameter of 165 mm,
– front wheel drive system independent of the rear, the two systems each have an RS540 motor. This is the first time Tamiya has installed a dual motor drive system.
– two spring-loaded shock absorbers for each wheel. This is the first time Tamiya has installed two shock absorbers for each wheel.
– possibility to select with a switch whether the two motors are connected in parallel favouring speed or in series favouring time of use,
– plastic frame which is the central shell.
The differences between Clod Buster and Bull Head are very few:
– the three reinforcement plates that have been added in the Bull Head,
– the colour of some parts change between the two models:
a- the chassis shell of the Clod Buster model is black and that of the Bull Head chassis is red,
b- the four suspension arms of the Clod Buster model are black and those of the Bull Head model are chrome,
c- the eight shock absorbers, the steering joints, the two reinforcement roll bars of the Clod Buster model are red and those of the Bull Head model are yellow.
d- the rims of the Clod Buster model are white and those of the Bullhead model are chrome.
The different colours of the parts can be seen in the picture: on the left the Clod Buster model and on the right the Bull Head model
– different body,
– due to the difference in body, the attachments of the body to the chassis at the front are different
– due to the difference in body, the attachments of the body to the chassis at the rear are different
Early editions of the Clod Buster are embellished with the Chevrolet logo on the front grille, tailgate and stickers. At the end of the 1980s, due to the change of laws regarding the ownership of logos, Tamiya decided to remove them. In the picture on the left, you can see in red the Chevrolet logo on the first Clod Buster, which was replaced by the “4x4x4” logo on the front grille and removed from the tailgate.
There have been several re-releases of the Clod Buster and the Bull Head:
– Super Clod Buster, model number 58321, put on sale in 2004 and available on the market until 2013,
– Super Clod Buster Metal Plated Special, model number 58423, put on sale in 2008 and available on the market until 2013,
– Bull Head, model number 58535, put up for sale in 2012 and available on the market until 2013,
– Super Clod Buster, model number 58518, put on sale in 2013 and available on the market until 2014,
– Super Clod Buster Black Edition, model number 47432, put on sale in 2020 and available on the market until 2021, and
– Super Clod Buster Grey, model number 92437, put on sale in 2022 and available on the market until 2023.
All re-releases retain the three reinforcement plates introduced with Bull Head model number 58089.
Depending on the model, the colour of the eight shock absorbers, the steering joints, the two reinforcement roll bars and the four suspension arms change.
Pictured are different releases of the Clod Buster and Bull Head.